Ben had quite the first week of February. He took the train to Denver on Saturday, February 1st. Then, Monday - Thursday he was given injections to stimulate production of stem cells. On Friday, one IV took his blood out, filtered out the stem cells, then put the remaining blood back into another IV. That evening his brother Joe received Ben’s stem cells. A stem-cell transplant as Joe has myelodysplastic syndrome - a cancer that has caused a whole bunch of Joe’s blood cells to turn naughty. 😡 Thankfully Ben was a perfect match - which actually isn’t that common, even for siblings. We are all rooting for Joe and his family as we sure love and adore them all!
Ben was also able to take walks and drive in a lot of snow, visit the temple with his parents, and spend time with a much beloved wrestling coach (who is now battling his own cancer). Ben had a week, for sure!
That's what I posted on facebook. I'll put in a few pictures and maybe add a few more commentary . . .
Lucy loves making cards and notes for others. :)
Ben definitely felt the "main" side effect of his injections - bone pain. Especially in his hips, femurs, and ribs. I guess it makes sense, the side effect, as the drug is stimulating the bone marrow to increase production of cells. So at least Ben knew the drug was working in his body!
I always got mad when I saw pictures of Ben with Joe - without a mask. Ha. I guess it wasn't required, but still . . . So the last day (!) Ben appeased me and wore a mask. Joe had been wiped clean of his naughty cells - plus it wiped what good cells his bone marrow had as well. So his body was comprised and so I thought a mask a good idea. :)
This was the transplant day - under the blankets was the IV that was taking the blood out of Ben. It was then, like I said above, filtered. Stem cells were collected and kept. Then the rest of Ben's blood went back in to his body in his left IV. This process took 5-6 hours. Joe got Ben's blood a few hours later - at about 5 that evening.
Denver got lots and lots of snow that week Ben was there!
Temple time!
Enjoying the fresh air and snow.
Coach Barron and Ben. Coach Barron (Ray) was Ben's high school wrestling coach. I have never met this man, but have heard some of the best and most tender stories about him. His worth in the lives of the thousands of kids he coached wasn't in his coaching, but rather his plain greatness as a human. Or so I have been told by many . . . including Ben, his friends, Ben's parents, his friends parents, etc., etc. There was to be his last time coaching event at one of the local schools in Littleton, but that day school and, thus, extracurricular activities, were canceled. Luckily, Ben was still able to hook up with Coach Barron - Pete and Christian Sabey went with Ben and so they all had a great time visiting with Coach Barron. I still don't understand how a coach who has coached hundreds and hundreds of other kids since Ben's wrestling days (more than 25 years ago), still totally knew and remembered Ben. In fact, a few years ago Coach Barron came to Montrose with Heritage's football team (he was helping coach that as well). He saw Ben and immediately recognized him. Amazing. He's an impressive man in so many ways.
What a week!
1 comment:
Take a QUICK look of transplant day picture of Ben. Doesn't it look like he's an amputee?!?!
What a friggin miracle that Ben was able to do this!
Post a Comment