Lucy's best friend, Lila, moved to Utah in August. So before she moved Lucy really wanted to go on a backpacking trip with her. Our two families had gone in 2020, and I had taken my girls and their friends last year (including Lila), and so Lucy wanted to do one more trip before Lila moved. So Lila's mom, Heather, and I and are two girls went to the Middle Fork of the Cimarron. The weather wasn't looking too promising on the forecast, but as we started our hike it was nice and sunny. However, after about 2 hours of hiking, it started raining and never let up. There was intense thunder and lightning as well. I wasn't too worried about that - not as much as just getting cold from being so wet . . . We decided to hike into the basin area, which was our destination camping spot. When we got there, it was still pouring and we didn't see any blue in the sky. The thought of just being wet all afternoon and staying inside the tent for the next 16 hours wasn't too appealing . . . so we decided we had better just hike back out. It was a bummer! But, on the bright side, we let Lucy sleepover at Lila's house and so they had a special night as neither of us families do sleepovers. So it all worked out. It was a beautiful spot and I am anxious to one day explore it more! When it's sunny. :) (When I got home, I checked the weather again. Flash food warnings were expected for the next 24-36 hours in that area. We made the right choice in hiking out.)

Post-rain, on the way back. Little streams were "raging rivers" on our way back. Yes, that's an exaggeration, but the difference was impressive!


1 comment:
i hate when the right decisions are hard buuuut i also hate getting wet. ha.
Post a Comment