2014

2014

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Happy 18th birthday Jonas


Happy birthday you newly-turned adult! Even though you've told me for months that you are technically (or legally?) already an adult - something to do with signing up with the military?? I don't know if that is actually true. And, frankly, I don't care if it is - you will always and forever be my child. :)

Another year and another wild ride with you Jonas. You haven't made having four teenagers at once any easier . . . haha. It's been a big year for you, though, and you've done some pretty great things. In February, you joined the military - the Utah National Guard. Your good friend Kolter joined as well and it's been cool to have you guys go through this together. You attend monthly drill weekends in Utah and had your big experience at boot camp this summer. Those first days were a test of mental strength (ugh, it sounded so awful), but you got through those and the rest was pretty easy sailing for you. You are strong, fit, and smart. And you saw it for yourself out there at Fort Jackson. No mom telling you those things - you were able to recognize it on your own and I was grateful for that. You proved that you can be disciplined and get up early - the other stuff I knew already (that you were/are strong, fit, and smart). I was honestly worried about you not waking up on time. But you oftentimes woke up even before your alarm and that was a huge relief and a huge shock to me!

It was so fun to go out and see you graduate from Army Basic Training. You really looked happy (even though you were so excited to finally leave that place) and healthy and handsome - and maybe, just maybe, a little more mature. :) Overall, I think you have matured. Even though we've still had those moments of immaturity - but you were still just a kid then. So now that you're 18 . . . no more, right?

You gave me a bit of a scare about halfway through the first semester of your senior year. The school counselor called me and told me you were failing, or just about failing, three of your classes. You hadn't been attending one of your classes for the last few weeks, etc. You just hate school and "dumb classes." Actually, you don't hate school. You just hate "dumb classes." You thought dropping out and getting a GED was adequate . . . Luckily some sense got knocked into you (maybe I had something to do with that, or maybe a girl?! I don't know, but glad something clicked) and you've done decently ever since. You started going to one of your dumb classes, the one with a nerd for a teacher, and realized the teacher was actually pretty cool. You haven't skipped out on classes for like 2 months and I guess that's something to be happy about! Your grades are up (though no where near your potential) and it looks like there is a great chance that you'll be graduating this spring. Yay!

I think it's been a little hard for you not knowing exactly what you want to do after high school. A lot of kids have specific plans and so when you don't, you feel like you're "wrong" or something. But most of us are still trying to figure out what we want to do when we grow up! Even though college wasn't something that has been on your radar for the last year and a half, it looks like you might just end up at one after all. Utah Valley University is the plan so far - going through their associate's degree program of auto diesel mechanics. I am excited for that adventure and hope you will do well with all that that experience will bring! A little nervous, too . . . But I am hopeful it will be a good thing for you!

One thing that really hasn't changed with/about you since you were a young kid - little wee lads adore you. You've always been amazing with kids and you still are. You have a good friend with a kid - and she really, really likes you. You were even invited to her 2nd-birthday party. :) Babies at church are always happy when you hold them - and you even ask to hold those cute babes. I bring this up because kids are actually pretty good judges of character . . . just saying. . . You're a good one Jonas Ford.

I am both anxious and excited about your future - especially now as you are an adult. You have amazing potential to have such a great and fulfilling life and we'll be here cheering you on always and forever.

love you,

mom

No comments: