2014

2014

Friday, May 17, 2024

Odds and Ends

Jonas got a turkey tag and caught a HUGE one his first day out - and within the first hour, ha! He was totally excited about it! He was going to have it mounted . . . until he found out the cost. Now it's just bagged and sitting in our freezer . . . sigh. I usually gasp or slightly scream out every time I open the freezer because I forget and then see some feathers. Yuck. But it was a beautiful turkey for sure and he and Ben and planning on eating it at some point - hopefully sooner than later so I can get it out of my freezer ha! But well done Jonas.


My friend and I went on my favorite local hike - the Ouray Perimeter trail. As always, it was beautiful and awesome. My calves may or may not have been sore for days afterwards . . . welcome to hiking season!


Then this happened . . . Emmy totaled our Ford Flex. She was devastated. :( She made a U-turn right in front of our house (probably a bit faster than necessary per her) and ran into the curb. The curb broke off the wheel and broke the brake line. So she had no steering and no braking . . . and ran into our neighbor's parked car. :( Sadness. I was at work that morning but Emmy got Jonas and he helped line up the towing. A friend and her mother (Layla and Holly Lambert) also came and helped with the situation. As for me? I didn't find out until I got a text on my phone at work at about 11 from USAA (our insurance company) saying my claim had been processed. Huh?! I thought it was a mistake . . . until I clicked on it and it mentioned towing of the Flex. I texted Emmy and got back a dramatic "Oh my gosh I am so so so sorry!!!!!!!" reply. :) I immediately called her and she told me she was okay but felt awful, etc., etc. She had a headache and so I told her to just go home. Anyways, she was scared to tell us - when, in fact and if I do say so myself, I (and Ben) was quite chill about it. Accidents - even dumb ones - happen. I hope this is a learning experience for her. The two weeks without a car for Emmy was pretty rough on all of us, haha. We ended up getting $3500 for the Flex, which is about $3300 more than Ben was expecting. (In all honesty, it was almost a blessing - especially as Emmy was okay. The Flex was falling apart and who knew how much life it had left - but definitely not a lot.)

Oh, Lucy was also in the car because Emmy was taking her to school. Lucy's comment: "Oh, I guess I will have to ride my bike today," and she was off. :)

We knew Emmy would need a car and so we started looking. KSL is always a good place and lo and behold Emmy and I found a car that we loved: a MINI. Long story short, I took the train up on a Wednesday afternoon and my dad picked me up in Provo at 10:30pm. It was my first time on the train and while it was slightly sketchy, it was also pretty chill. On Thursday, my parents came down with me to SLC and I test-drove the vehicle (with my mom). It seemed okay and in pretty good condition (with a few known issues we would need to resolve) and so I made the purchase. (Emmy will get a job and pay us half.) My parents took me out on Thursday to a delicious local restaurant and we had a really nice time together. 

Cute - both my mom and the car!
 
Adorable head-shot. :)

The interior is really nice!

I drove home the MINI on Friday and all went well! Emmy (and her little sister) were both so excited. :)

That weekend, the carnival came to down - as it does every year. It's HUGE here - like, everyone goes. I am always amazed at the turnout because it's soooo expensive ($30-40 per day), but it's also like the only thing that happens fun in our town for kids, so I get it. Our three kids went Friday night. Each came home and reported to us that, yes, they had fun. But also that they felt super sick from riding all the ride. But, yes, they were all planning on going back again on Saturday - which they all did do. Haha.

Lucy took some pictures:
Ruby (Lucy's bestie) and Lucy.


Alaina (another one of Lucy's besties) and Lucy.

Looks like Lucy even caught up with Aby and Jonas - fun! (Side note: Jonas went on Saturday and pretty much hung out with Oliver, Aby's 8-year old brother, for 5 hours there. What a good kid.)

Fun (and not-so-fun) stuff.

No comments: