I'm either A. Turning in to a chipmunk, B. Turning in to a peanut (thanks for that one, Lucy!), C. Have mumps, or D. who knows?!
Most likely it will end up being D. As my doctor said when I went in on Wednesday, "You're the medical mystery of the week." We are trying to cross out mumps because as unlikely as that is (seeing as I was vaccinated as a child and there are no known outbreaks in our area), it's all we've got at this point.
Monday evening I told Ben I wasn't feeling great and thought I was coming down with something. I skipped going to my daughters' classes as I usually do on Tuesday mornings because I felt "off." I took a nap to get ready for work that night and when I got up I noticed my swollen face - it was much more prominent on the left side that first day.
At first Ben and I were thinking my lymph nodes. But the more we looked it was determined that it was my parotid glands instead. I worked all Tuesday night and then had to stay up Wednesday morning until 8:30 so I could make an appointment with my doc. I got less than an hour's sleep and then went to my appointment. Where, as mentioned, I was determined to be a mystery.
I'm went for my second blood-work this morning and we'll see if that leads to a mumps diagnosis. If not, it's probably some other weird virus thing and there will be nothing to do except to wait it out.
I do feel like I have some viral infection - general malaise, etc. My cheeks are incredibly tight, uncomfortable, painful (especially at 3am in the morning - the times I have gotten up these past two nights and waited an hour until trying to go back to sleep . . .), and embarrassing. I'm super embarrassed to go out in public - especially around people I know. Yes, vanity for sure! I only posted this picture for history's sake and because I don't think too many people check my blog anyways! :)

2 comments:
Holy crap. I don't even think I'd recognize you! I'm so sorry. I think I'd skip church. Seriously. I know it's vain, but man, so sorry for you! And that it feels bad? The worst. Hope they figure it out soon! Also, I think you're super brave. Especially since I'm going to share this post on FB so all my friends can see it. :)
I guess I could say "Don't get cheeky with me!" It IS less noticeable with your hair down, so maybe go with that style while inflicted with this mystery ailment! :(
Post a Comment