2014

2014

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Black Canyon Ascent 2019

I have run this four times in the past and had decided that four times was enough (remember my childbirth analogy for this race?). I'm not going to greatly describe this race because I have so many times on my blog, but here's the low-down: 6 miles, 2000 feet gain, hard. That's pretty much the gist of it.

Jonas, for some reason, wanted to do it . . . So, we did it together. Jonas hurt his knee a couple nights earlier on the tramp and was complaining and limping around Friday evening on it. Plus, he was super grumpy. So, honestly, I wasn't too excited about doing it with him! 6 long miles . . . Our plan was to run/walk it - I wasn't sure Jonas could run the whole thing.

So we walked the whole first mile. It killed me - walking and that steepness = hurting calves. But then we started running a bit and that soothed my calves a little, but was hard on my lungs. That whole run/walk thing was hard for me - I would much rather slowly run the whole thing! But I think it worked for Jonas and Jonas did so great! So much better than I expected! I let him take off at mile 5 (when relief finally comes) and thought he'd peter out . . . but he passed two walkers and ended up being the 2nd walker to finish (1st male). But maybe we cheated a bit because we ran/walked?! Jonas' time was 1:22 and mine was 1:24 (a good 12 minutes slower than my norm. - but faster than I was expecting). Walkers were given no recognition . . . so next time we are definitely signing up as runners (I had signed up as a runner, but changed to walk with Jonas). Jonas' time would have been right there (even beating plenty) with the runners.

Jonas loved it. And, really, I think he did. I didn't. I mean, it was fun to do it with Jonas! It's just a miserable run. :)

There were a bunch of my friends up there, too, and that was fun. Although they wimped out and left after finishing . . . it was a bit cold up there. But Jonas and I stayed for the raffle and awards - with Jonas winning a water bottle in a raffle prize. Also, I took some of my friends' running bibs and one of my friends won a 1-hr. massage. Lucky her!

Anyways, I think we'll run it again next year - perhaps with an Emmy, too. :)

My Pics:
 Jonas at the starting line. While waiting in the car we experienced rain, snow, and hail. But by the time the race started, it was clear - and beautiful!

 Freshly fallen snow . . . Jonas looking good . . . Probably about 2 miles in to the race.

 I "let" Jonas take off without me at mile 5. He ran it so well!

 All done - awesome job!

 A few of the friends I knew up there. Back row: Emily (my friend Sarah's sister), Sarah, and Niki. Front row: Jonas, me, Mrs. Kohout (Jonas' 5th-grade teacher. His 3rd-grade teacher ran it, too), Heather Oman, and Marnae Woodland.

Unprofessional Race Pics:
 Where's Emily and Jonas? (You know, like "Where's Waldo?")

 Where's Emily and Jonas?

Where's Emily and Jonas? (This one's hard . . .)

Professional Race Pics:



Go Us. :)

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

WAIT...did you buy those professional race pics? Or did you get them for free without a watermark?! This whole post is insane. :)