love,
mom
Okay, 9 days later I finally have time to write you your birthday letter! Whoowheee, it's been busy around here. I got a new PRN job at the cancer center and started orienting there on your birthday. So that's my excuse.
But you had a splendid birthday party and a fun couple days of birthday celebration. Celebrating you turning 12! Twelve used to be sort-of a big deal because that's when you would start going to YW, but you go to start at the beginning of the year . . . You love YW and love participating in Sunday classes and week-day activities. You also have started working on your Personal Progress, with the hope of achieving the Young Women Recognition award. It's been all "You" driven - you do the reading and work on the goals pretty much on your own. I have helped you, of course (a lot in some cases), but you are the driver and it's awesome. I wish your brothers would follow your example with their Duty to God . . .
You finished up your last year at Northside. I don't think it was your favorite year, but it also wasn't your worst. You didn't have to deal with too much drama junk at school - just a bit. You didn't really connect well with your teacher, which I don't really blame you for - I don't think she understood you well. But you still succeeded as a student and earned the Presidential Award. You started the year thinking you were horrible at math and didn't like it, but then you realized you weren't so bad and actually ended up really liking math.
You finished up the school year with one of your favorite activities of the year - 5th-grade field day. It's a fun day of hanging out at the high school field, participating in all sorts and track and field events. You ran the mile and got 2nd place! I was so proud and I know you were beyond excited, too.
You are growing in to a lovely little lady. You still have your "moments," a lot of them frankly. Especially "mean to Lucy" moments. Sigh. But you are maturing and it's quite nice. You are losing interest in younger girl stuff and are truly becoming a young woman. You like to babysit - especially Milo and Aidrey, who are some of the cutest toddlers around. You love to bake. Your favorite birthday gift was a donut cookbook and some donut-making supplies. :) You realized that Harry Potter books aren't that bad - in fact, they are quite good! You are on the 6th book, I think. One book you LOVED reading in 5th grade was Flipped. I randomly discovered it was a movie and so we watched it and it was the most adorable movie. Good taste, Emmy!
So far, you really like middle school. It's great because there are more kids - including more LDS kids. I don't want to sound like that's the only kind of friends I want you to have, because that's not true. But you have been the lone LDS kid in your grade ever since you started kindergarten. So it's nice to have some friends with similar values. A lot of these girls you've known through our preschool-days (Holly and Jillian), plus others that you've met at camp, etc. It's fun for you to actually see them and hang out with them at school!
You have matured in your "crushes" as well. Instead of having like a list of 40+ boys, like years in the past, you've kept your list to just a handful. I approve of the boys - for the most part. :) You're not boy-crazy, but do like them. :)
Aunt Laura once told Ben how she much more enjoyed her teenage children than her toddler children. I think I might have to agree. While we were in Midway last week, you and I decided to walk back to Grandma and Grandpa's house. It was just fun chatting with you, talking about your homework, friends, etc. I loved our walk together.
I'm excited to see you continue to mature and grow in to a fine and fiesty young woman.
I love you,
mom
No comments:
Post a Comment