It's been quite the year - or at least quite the last five months. You turned 12, life was good and normal and then BAM. Covid came. BOOOOO. You were rocking being a 12-year old: loving middle school, making a lot of new and good friends at school, doing well in all of your classes, staying fit through gymnastics and ski club and running with me, etc. Then it all sort of fell apart and it was so sad (it's actually making me tear up as I write this :( ). You handled it all pretty well, considering it was a major shock to your life.
You were super bummed and super mad about school getting canceled. You had a really good friend-group that you loved hanging out with at school. You missed them most of all. But after the shock wore off a bit, you rocked our little "homeschool" plan - which was extremely basic: math (via Academy), reading (whatever book you chose), some science, and PE. PE was fun - I really miss our bike rides, pickballing on our drive way, seeing you girls jump-rope, running with you, and more. You and Lucy were such great "home students" and loved my little schedule and stuck to it beautifully. Then your middle school decided after 5 weeks to throw together a school plan and so we did that. You did okay with it - but it was such a mess. So what an interesting end to your first year of middle school!
You continue to be quite a little runner - even if your brothers beat you at our races. We ran the GOTR 5K as a family since there was not an official race due to covid of course. We practiced together and I love running with you! The boys still beat us (you beat me as you sprinted at the end - yay), but your time was great! Then I organized a Black Canyon Ascent run for friends and family. I didn't run with you as I thought you would run for a bit and then end up walking with Dad, Miles, and Lucy. But run you did - the entire 6 awful miles. You amazed me! You are a strong and determined young lady.
You continue to love gymnastics and are enjoying your new gym a lot. It was so hard to leave Coach Kirk and Snow Shadow as it was practically a second-home to you, but the change has been good and you truly love it and are learning new and awesome skills all the time. You continue to be such a beautiful gymnast. You and Lucy create these "routines" (more like yoga routines) all the time and they are so fun and creative and athletic.
You love the Young Women's program at church and excelled in completing the Personal Progress program - which was its last year. You were self-motivated and worked really hard on each value. I loved watching you mark up your scriptures for "faith," work on an embroidery for "integrity," make donuts for "good works," and more. Your strength and determination are also manifested in your desire to do good and be good.
You are in this almost in-between stage of still loving to play, yet also wanting to be older and hang-out with the boys' friends (which makes Jonas mad; Miles just welcomes you). You and your friends will get together and play these cute and silly games and it's fun to watch. Then the next day you put on make-up and such and I see that you are actually growing and maturing. And it's fun to watch, too. I love the childhood innocence and freedom; yet also love the getting-older experiences, too.
You continue to crush on and love boys - but make sure your dad is always #1 on that list. Which I think he is . . . Continue to strive to be a better human every day and every year and you'll blossom into a lovely woman. I will enjoy watching you do so.
I love you.
love,
mom
