2014

2014

Monday, August 17, 2020

Jonas Gets a Car

 Well this could be a longish post, too! But I'll try and make it as short as possible. We know a young man named Logan. He's an awesome kid and has an awesome family. Ben works with Logan's dad - he is a Nurse Anesthetist. Logan and Miles were on the wrestling team and mountain biking team. Logan is just a stellar kid, really. Anyways, one day a couple years ago, Logan brought Miles home from mountain bike practice. My boys checked out Logan's Mini Cooper - and Logan told Jonas that he wold sell it to him in a few years . . . 

So we would always half-joke about it, but also took it kind of seriously. Then Jonas got in to a truck-phase and all he wanted was a truck. But then he realized he could get a license or something which would allow him to ride his dirt-bike on the road (which was the reason he wanted a truck - to transport his someday dirt-bike). So then he went back to talking about the Mini-Cooper. Plus, Logan also began bringing it up . . . 

Long story, short: Jonas "bought" Logan's car last Wednesday night (August 12th). I saw "bought" in quotes, because he still owes us his part of the bargain - we tell our kids we will match them equal to what they pay (plus, my dad donates some $$ as well . . .). Our kids have to have at least half of their amount for us to give the loan, which Jonas does. So that's that. We all went on Wednesday and had a fun visit. Ben and I enjoyed visiting with Chris and Twyla (the parents). Logan drove my boys and Audrey (his 13-year old sister and maybe one of Jonas' crushes . . . ) to Sonic. My girls played in their house (they have a gym tumbling mat, a climbing wall, etc. in their house!) with Ruby Jane - who is Lucy's age and looks very similar to Lucy! Anyways, Logan was a bit teary-eyed as we drove away with his old and Jonas' new car. 

Logan and Jonas . . .

It's a deal!

The inside dash - I love the big speedometer!

What a good-looking car!

Ben loves driving it, too. . . It is a standard, so I can't drive it. Which Jonas loves. :)

Here is an adventure I posted on social media of the boys and the car:
"So my 14 and 2/3-year old bought a car. . . It’s a beaut and just about as opposite as can be from Miles’ car. . . So today my boys thought they could have Miles drive it around - although their experience with a stick-shift is limited to their motorized bikes (“It has a clutch, mom.”) and a 6-minute YouTube video. . . Miles made it a few blocks before he couldn’t get it back into first up the “big hill” (which was really a big dip in the road). I was in the house, but came out to check on them (although I couldn’t have helped seeing as I can’t drive a stick). As I am walking the couple blocks to the car, I see a car drive, turn around, and then pull-up behind my boys. A gentleman gets out and goes to the car and the next thing I see is Miles hopping into the passenger seat and the man hopping in to the driver’s seat (My boys later told me the first thing the man asked my boys was if they were high on drugs). They drive around for a few minutes. Then I see them stop and Miles hops out and then into the driver’s seat, and the gentleman into the passenger’s seat. They then drive around the neighborhood for a good 5-10 minutes. After the joy-riding was done, I thanked this kind man and enjoyed visiting with him and his wife. They gave my boys some good advice (like, “Practice using the clutch with the car off” and “Practice driving in a parking lot before trying the neighborhood streets.”) Pretty similar to what their mother had suggested earlier. . . Oh to be young and dumbly confident! #stillgoodpeopleoutthere #drivingintheparkinglotasIpost"

Haha, what a story! Ben took the boys driving that night and, as I expected, Jonas picked it up pretty quickly. Miles does okay and is getting better. :) I would say Miles takes after me - but he's probably better; at least, I hope so!


1 comment:

erinmalia said...

Any change in driving ability now? The car is perfect. Seriously.