Well Mother Nature can be quite a menace to deal with . . . She has foiled my backpacking trip to Red Castle Lakes twice now. Darn her.
We had gotten about a half-dozen ladies to go on a backpacking trip early in September. All was looking good until that week a freak-storm came through and dropped almost a foot of snow on our plans. Luckily, we came up with a Plan B and had a great outdoor trip with some great ladies (and a couple of adult children that came along as well).
Most of us left on Wednesday, drove to Lyman, Wyoming, and stayed that night at a motel. On Thursday, plans were changed, but we still headed for the High Uinta Wilderness in Utah - just the area that didn't have snow at the moment. We backpacked in on a somewhat cool and cloudy day about 6 miles and set-up camp. It was so cold that evening - it even snowed on us, but it didn't stick much to the ground - that we were in our tents by 6pm (the breeze made it super cold outside of our tent). We chatted and had a jolly time before calling it a day. Four of us were in one tent - while Sherri and her daughter slept in their tent. Most of us were pretty warm that night - even though I am sure it got in the 30s. I had used some birthday money and bought a new sleeping pad; plus I used one of the boys' super-nice sleeping bag. I had never slept so well camping as I did this trip. Yay!
On Friday, after missing our rock-sign and stick-arrow, Heather and her son finally found us. :) We went on a 5+ loop hike from our camp. It took us to about 5-6 beautiful alpine lakes. It was a sunny and gorgeous day. We were able to stay out of our tent until a whopping 7:30, which was when the sun went down and became freezing again!
Saturday we got up, ate, and then headed back to the trailhead. It was a great trip and super fun because of the awesome gals that came along. Lucky me!










1 comment:
This looks incredible! I'm so glad you got to go, even if it wasn't Plan A.
Post a Comment