2014

2014

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Goblin Valley 2017

So I just looked at my blog and realized this was our 5th year of adventuring to Goblin Valley.  I did it solo this year - well, solo in the adult-sense.  I took our kids, plus a friend DJ, and Brigham.  It was fun - except when it wasn't.  It's a little hard and lonely not having a friend/spouse for me!  Jonas drove me berserk at times and really ended it on a sour note for all of us.  :(  Miles was less-than helpful.  The girls were okay - except for the love-hate relationship they have going on.  Although, really, it's not that bad.  The love is there for like 90% of the time - then you get the, "I'm never playing with her again!"  And then 1 minute later they are playing together again happily . . . at least for another 9 minutes or so . . . :)

Anyways, the kids had a half-day on Thursday and so we headed out early and were able to get to Goblin Valley and set-up camp and play around.  Friday was spent hiking Bells and Little Wild Horse Canyons - a nice 8-mile loop hike.  We had a bit of water last year in Bells, but never have I seen it in Little Wild Horse.  Except for this year - we literally had water up to our waist.  And that slot-canyon-never-see-the-sun water is super cold!  But it added to our adventure and was a little fun.  :)  Brigham did awesome up Bell and then we struggled with him a bit after that.  He didn't like jumping off ledges, swimming in murky water, etc.  He definitely added stress!  But he's also so fun to have around.  We had an enjoyable evening and I think each one of us saw at least one shooting star - so cool.

Saturday morning we packed up and headed to the official Goblin Valley (State Park).  The kids had fun playing around the goblins and then I found a cool area for them to play and suggested they play "capture the flag."  That was great . . . until Jonas lost it (figuratively and literally) and I was done and ready to leave.  So we left and had a nice drive home listening to The Witch of Blackbird Pond (which we finished) and Harry Potter #1.

It's such a great area for kids - I just need to have an adult around for my sake next time.  :)

 The girls were excited about our camp spot and - after our tent was set up - went off to climb and explore.

 The boys were off and running, too - as soon as their tent was up.

 Finally eating some dinner!

 The girls ready for bed - we brought two tents, one for the girls and one for the boys.  It worked out great.

 Emmy took this lovely picture of me - ha.  I thought it was the only picture of me . . . but I managed to make it in one more.  :)

 The kids didn't waste too much time on Friday morning to climb to the top of the hill.  Brigham had fun going up and down and up and down.

 This is in the beginning of Bells Canyon.  Brigham loved it at this point.  :)

 The girls kept telling me how much they love this hike!

 Snack/water break on the rocks.  Super cool.

 Another break higher up on the rocks.  Even cooler.

 So this was the first big trouble-spot for Brigham.  He would not jump down anywhere!  We tried and tried and tried.  Finally I had to walk for like 15 minutes along the upper-ridge until I could find a more mellow spot to come down.  He's a silly dog - he could totally do it, but he's super scared of it.

 In the slot canyon!

 This was the first water-spot - it only came up shin-deep.  But it gave us a taste of what it was going to be like walking in waist-high water.  We weren't too thrilled.  :)

 There's the long stretch of water - which did go up to our waists at a few spots.

 Brigham did not like this!  He kept trying to come back, but then we'd just have to push him forward.  Poor guy.

 Go, Brigham, go!

 I carried Lucy on my back.  I thought I would go and drop my backpack off and then come back for her.  But I decided I didn't want to have to go through that water any more than once, so my pack went on my front and Lucy on my back.  At the deep point Lucy exclaimed, "Ahhh, my feet are touching!  Hold me higher mom!"  Poor baby to have her feet in the water.  :)

 DJ was pretty great - he even went back in the water to help Emmy towards the end. I'm pretty sure he'd never done anything like this before and so it was good for him.  He did take like a 2-hour nap when we got back from hiking that evening.  :)

 The girls do love chilling in holes.

 Miles is pretty cute . . . but I took this picture to show how dirty he was.  But you can't tell!  Oh well, it's a nice picture of Miles.

 We got back from our all-day hike and the girls immediately started playing their games - no, Lucy is not napping.  It's just part of the game.

 Saturday morning - Goblin Valley!  It's the best picture I got - and too bad that Lucy was in the shade.  Oh well, I've plenty others from years past!

Brigham enjoyed it - but had to be leashed in the state park.

The end.

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

This is just so cool. Goblin Valley is awesome. I'm amazed at how alone you are when you camp! Is it on BLM land? I mean, you're not in some organized campground, right?