2014

2014

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Tri, try again!

So we did the Black Canyon Sprint Triathlon again - for our 2nd time.  We had the same two teams as we did last year:  Team Brigham (Ben, Emmy, and Lucy) and Team Wilson/Wilson Brigade (Emily, Miles, and Jonas).  If you remember from last year, we took 1st and 2nd place, respectively.  But that was because we were the only two teams!  This year there were 8 family relay teams and so the competition was going to be tougher.  :)  We weren't expecting to place as we had a couple of "older" kids on our teams, which meant farther distances.  Each person on a family-relay does the length ascribed to his/her age group.  Although I made Emmy run the longer distance (the youth, age 11-14, division) because I was not going to have her run a 0.8K (which is like a 1/2 mile!).  She can do so much more and wouldn't need to train for that.

So we did our tri-training for about 6 weeks.  We usually went once a week and each did our thing:  Ben and Jonas swam, Miles and Lucy biked, and Emmy and I ran.  For the past month our trainings were basically our FHEs.  :)

It was another great tri for our family:
 Jonas was the first to go in our family!  It did an illegal dive - ha.  But nobody cared.  :)  Jonas did 5 laps (250 yards) total - a mix of freestyle and breaststroke.

 He looked great!

 Brrrrrr, it was so cold in the morning - especially, I am sure, when you're all wet!

 Transition time - handing off the chip from our swimmer Jonas to biking Miles.  Miles was off for his ride!

 Meanwhile, Team Brigham started and Ben did his 1,000 yard-swim.  Then he ran out into the cool morning!

 Ben giving his timing chip to Lucy.

 Ben rode with Lucy on her bike ride.  Besides a little cry of knee-pain from Lucy, she did awesome!

 I had already headed out on my run.  Then Lucy came back and handed her chip off to Emmy.

Go, Emmy, go!

I ran a 5K and Emmy ran a 2.5K.  We ended up meeting each other for the last 1/2 mile or so.  It was great.  I came up to Emmy (my street T'ed in to her street) and said, "Hey!"  Emmy saw me and started sprinting (at least one of my kid has some competitiveness in them!).  I told her that Team Brigham had already beaten Team Wilson (since we had started earlier) and so then she consented to run in with me.  :)

 The Wilson Brigade's shirts.  :)

 Team Brigham in their awesome shirts!

All of us all done!

We went back around 1 for the awards ceremony and, much to our surprise, the Wilson Brigade took 2nd and Team Brigham took . . .1st!  Ha, how fun!  Our training had paid off!

 The Wilson Brigade with our silver medals.

 Team Brigham and their gold medals.

Our tri-family!

Next year I think most of us will do the triathlon on our own . . . except for maybe Lucy.  We'll see - I'm not sure my other kids (excepting Jonas of course) can do the swimming part!  We might have to start training more than 6 weeks before the race.

It was a fun way to end our September!

2 comments:

Elder James and Sister Dixie Galbraith said...

Congratulations to both teams!!!

erinmalia said...

This is just so cool! Way to go teams.