2014

2014

Monday, December 04, 2017

R.I.P. Wilson

So after 15 1/2 years, and 9+ extra lives, Wilson was put to rest on December 1st.  There were many times that we thought he was close to dying, but he held on for many of them and came through.  But when I saw him on Thursday, I knew this was it.  While his symptoms totally mimicked what you would think of when you think of a stroke, the vet guessed it was most likely vestibular disease.  I guess strokes aren't that common in dogs, but vestibular disease is.  Wilson probably had an inner-ear tumor or something - I think he probably had lots of tumors, poor dog!

But he did okay for those 15 1/2 years and luckily only had about a day of some bad, bad suffering.  I had the kids say their goodbyes to Wilson on Friday morning before they headed out for school.  (I thought Ben was going to come home early and take Wilson to the vet before the kids were back from school.)

Emmy was a little teary-eyed on the way to school.  I shed tears as I finished getting ready for Moab and was driving around to pick up the other gals.

Ben didn't know I had had the kids say their goodbyes, and so he waited until they came home from school to put Wilson down.  He asked all the kids if they wanted to come and none did.  So Ben loaded up Wilson and began to drive to the vet.  Then Ben came back home because he wanted to get a picture of Wilson and the kids - he didn't know I had done so.  Lucy then decided to go with Ben.  Ben was worried, during the injection, that it was going to be too much for Lucy.  But Lucy did fine and coped with it by laughing at Wilson when he peed on the counter (after he had gone).

I spoke with Ben around 5pm on Friday and I was sad I was not there.  Ben was definitely choked up.  Wilson was part of our entire married-life pretty much (all but maybe a couple of months).

The rest of the weekend was busy and so we didn't get time to bury him until Sunday.

After church (Ben came home RIGHT after church!) Ben finished digging the hole and then we had a grave-side service.  :)  Wilson had the longest eulogy I've ever heard at a funeral.  We (mostly Ben) reviewed the highlights of Wilson's 15 1/2 years of life!  It was fun and I know the kids really enjoyed it too - especially Miles, who was the most endeared to Wilson of all our kids.  It was a nice ending to a great dog and his life!

 This picture was taken on Friday morning.  He looks sad, huh?  I mean, I know all dogs have that look - but I can just tell he's not feeling good.  Poor guy.

 Saying their last goodbyes to Wilson . . . or so they thought . . .

Okay, now they are really saying their last goodbye.  Emmy was quite emotional.  Jonas and Lucy were sad, but okay.  Miles didn't say too much - but we all know that out of the kids, Miles loved him most.

 Our Sunday grave-side service.  It was really nice and fun to remember all the adventures and misadventures Wilson had!  I even found his official AKC certificate, in which he was actually named (by the AKC) as Wilson VII.  Haha.  I also found some silly letters that Wilson had "written" his beagle cousins Penny and Copper (Debbie and Kenny's dogs) many years ago.  It was fun to read them and we all had a good laugh.  It was really a perfect service.  :)

 I just love this picture - it shows life even during a time of death.

 Ben read a few scriptures, I said a prayer, and that was the end!

We put a few of Wilson's favorite things in the hole with him:  his leash, his food cup, and a treat (which Brigham was interested in).

What a good dog Wilson was and what great memories we will always have of him!

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

Oh, this made me cry! I'm so sorry Maxwells. He was a good dog.