So I came across this yurt one day online and thought it would be a fun way to celebrate me getting so old. :) This yurt, while farther away than some that we have close by, was perfect because it was only a 1 1/2 mile hike/snowshoe. Which meant that the whole family, particularly Lucy, could do it. (A lot of the other yurts are about 6 miles - that's too much in snowshoes for my kids, at least my youngest ones.)
So we left after school on Friday and got up to the trail-head around 6:30. We started snowshoeing a little after 7. It was snowing and very beautiful. It was quite steeper than I had thought, so Lucy was a bit tired and frustrated. But it got better and Lucy got better, too. :)
Close to 8, it started getting a bit dark. Luckily Ben's coworker had been to this yurt and had told Ben to look for a sign and that we'd hike down and then up a steep ravine. If we wouldn't have had that small bit of information, I doubt we would have found the yurt! I mean we had to hike down this really steep ravine and then hike up it - without any trail-markers. If we didn't know about this, Ben would not have led us down and up this spot. Anyways, we made it to the yurt at about 8:20. Bella and Brigham came and had a blast running in the snow.
The yurt was fun and the kids really thought it was cool. Ben got a fire going and warmed us all up (almost too warm at one point!). We played some Connect Four, had hot chocolate, and then I read a book aloud. It was 11:00 pm at this point - the girls fell asleep while I was reading and the boys went fast as soon as I finished. Ben and I had a hard time sleeping, but it wasn't horrible. Ben liked his job of stoking the fire throughout the night - really, he did. :) The dogs, especially Brigham, weren't quite sure about their sleeping arrangements for the night. Bella slept all over - with Jonas, Lucy, and Miles (Emmy was on a top bunk), and by Brigham and Ben. Brigham just gets so anxious with everything. When I would even turn to my other side, Brigham was there licking me to make sure I was okay. :) Silly, yet awesome, dog.
We woke up and it had probably snowed 3-4 inches during the night. But by the time we woke up, the clouds were gone and it was a beautiful, sunny day! As we came in at nighttime, it was fun to see our surroundings as we got up - so pretty.
After we ate breakfast and packed up our stuff (and washed the dishes, chopped some wood, etc.), we headed back down the trail. It should have taken us like 30 minutes - but, instead, 2 1/2 hours later we were all together again at the car. As we were snowshoeing down, a couple of men and two dogs were running up the trail. Well Bella decided to join them. The runners knew that and didn't really allow us a chance to get Bella. We told her to "come" but she didn't . . . Then the runner, up ahead a bit, said he'd just keep on running and she'd probably turn around. Well she didn't. So Ben and I started back up the trail . . . the kids and Brigham were ahead of us and almost to the car by this point. Anyways, we went for quite some time with no sign of either the runners or Bella. Ben and I were very mad at the runners! Finally, Ben took off his pack and snowshoes, and started running after them. I went up too, but slower. Ben called me (we had excellent cell service!) and said he was back at the yurt area and still no sign of anyone, so he was going to continue to follow the tracks. I went back down and caught up with the kids and told them what was happening. I kept getting updates from Ben - pretty much, "I haven't found them yet." It was so frustrating! Finally Ben got two snowmobilers to take him up the trail. As they got to the top of the hill, they finally ran in to the runners - but no Bella. Ben relayed this to me and tears from the girls (myself included) quickly ensued. (The boys had headed back up the trail to get Ben's pack.) The runners didn't feel like Bella followed them for too long after they had passed us . . . but I wonder about that . . . anyways, we knew Bella was alone in the woods and probably lost at this point. Ben and I had already traversed the trail and had no sign of her.
But, Miles found her near the area of the yurt. Quickly after Miles located her, the snowmobilers brought Ben back down to the spot and Ben saw Miles and Bella. He called us and we were all so happy, of course. :)
Wow, long story! We were all mentally and physically exhausted after that - especially Ben!
But, as Ben stated the night before, quoting one of his friends (Pete Sabey): There is no real adventure unless you feel someone's life is at stake (or something like that). True that!
Starting out in the snow! The dogs were on leashes at this point because the trail-head was right by a road. They were getting themselves all tangled up - haha.
Heading up a steep incline! Jonas decided Bella should have been named "Shadow" because she is black and follows Brigham around everywhere. Look at her in action! I think Bella thinks she is every bit as tall as Brigham. :)
More trekking up and up . . .
Miles is a powerful snowshoer - so fast!
In the yurt, on the sketchy metal bunk bed. :)
Bella was exhausted from the hike and found lots of comfortable places to rest - like the backpacks.
Jonas pampered her with his sweatshirt. :)
The girls playing Connect Four.
Early morning + 40 years of age = wow. Not the best picture of me, haha.
The beautiful forest we were in.
The back of the yurt, coming in from the trail.
The family (minus myself and the dogs) in front of Wilson Yurt. (Yes, Wilson was even there in spirit, I guess you could say . . .)
The kids had a great time and enjoyed snowshoeing (except when they didn't . . . really only in the case for the girls, and not too much either . . .).
Once Emmy fell off the trail . . . but at least she was in good spirits about it!
The sign - which was hard to see at nighttime!
Hiking back home - in fresh snow, awesome!
Bella finally returns! :)
1 comment:
What a perfect way to celebrate. And glad you found Bella. What a heart wrencher!
Post a Comment