2014

2014

Monday, December 14, 2020

Happy Driver's Permit Day Jonas!

 Dear Jonas,

Wow, the day you've been dreaming of is finally here - your 15th birthday, i.e., the day you get your driver's permit (as long as you pass the test . . . ). You have gotten a little more pre-15 driving lessons in than your brother Miles - mainly because you have a stick-shift and so it was helpful to practice in the church parking lot so that now, today, you can try driving the real neighborhood streets. You are quite a natural with a stick - definitely and obviously something you did not inherit from me. :) I think you'll be a good driver - prove me right, please!

It's been quite a year - 2020. For everyone. Not the best of years, but we've all managed. You ended up missing out on your last couple of months of your middle school career. No final Jazz band concert, no participating in track, no final 8th-grade Field-Trip to Delta, no normal beginning of high school, and on and on. It was a little rough on you - you're right at that age where friends and a social life are vitally important to your happiness and well-being. I think it's been a little hard on you. You had a few freak-outs (to put it VERY mildly) during this pandemic, but you've chilled out a bit and hopefully that's a sign that you'll turn out alright. Which I am pretty confident you will - even though you like to act otherwise at times . . . 

Your family still kind of bugs you. Your parents because we don't let you have a dirt bike or whatever else is the flavor of the month; your brother because he doesn't drive much to seminary; Emmy because she is just too similar to yourself; Lucy because . . . she is the baby of the family and will sometimes act the part very well. But you have moments of kindness and thoughtful to all of us and so I am pretty sure you really do love us. :)

You continue to love whatever social happenings are going on. You started off this pandemic practicing a few dance routines for one of your friend's Quinceanera. It was pretty fun watching you perform. You've had to miss out on a lot of happenings since not a ton is happening . . . stupid Covid. But you've managed to hang-out with friends a lot and that always makes you happy. You are especially fond of one friend in particular at the moment - yep, she happens to be a girl. I am just glad you've got some good friends around and encourage you to always surround yourself with people that inspire goodness in you.

Due to a pathetic 9th-grade schedule at the high school (PE, music, study hall, and biology), we (meaning you and your parents) agreed that BYU HS would be the way to go this first semester. You didn't love it, but I don't think you hated it. It wasn't too different than going to the high school as that is 1-week in-person and 1-week remote. You took a creative writing class and a PE class and so you got to spend some time at the high school. Sometimes you were there for what seemed like half a day - you'd go to your PE class, then meet friends for A lunch, and then meet other friends for B lunch. I knew it was important for you to socialize and so I was happy for you. The plan is to start full-time at the high school in January. Hopefully that goes well with Covid and all!

You participated in the mountain biking team and had a good, albeit competition-less, season. Now you are in to climbing and hopefully, if there is a season, you'll be able to participate on that team as well. You always feel good after working out with friends.

When you're being nice, you are quite funny and fun to be around. We're excited to have many more years of those nice moments with you Jonas! Have a happy birthday and know that your whole family loves you a whole lot.

love,

mom


(AHHHHHH, this turned out to be the worst children's birthday ever - FOR ME (You handled it way better than me.) ! I cried all morning. I can only not cry now if I don't think or talk about the stupid DMV and you not being able to get your permit. At least you passed the test. I'll talk more of this in your birthday post . . .)


No comments: