2014

2014

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

It was NOT a Happy Permit Day . . .

 WAAAAAAAAAA. That's what I did all morning long on Jonas' 15th birthday. It was the worst children's birthday ever for me. Not for my child. Jonas handled it much better than me - which was a shocking surprise. I decided he must have decided I was taking care of all the crazy emotions on my own and didn't need to add to it. :)

I think that it was just the last-straw for me in this crappy year. It's been mentally exhausting having four children (three of which, of course, are teenagers) have their lives so challenged this year. I am always having to tell them no, you can't do that; no, that's not opened; nope, it just got canceled; no school for a month; blah, blah, blah. I feel like I take the brunt as I am the one who gets to deliver these restrictions, which occur on a weekly basis. It's been a lot. I mean, my kids have done well and we are extremely blessed with what we do have and what we can do (or just what we do - whether we "can" or not, ha). But I ache for them as I know they aren't fully happy or being satisfied in many areas of their lives.

Anyways, what happened on Jonas' birthday broke me. So what happened? Jonas ended up not being able to get his permit. WAAAAAAA. We had done everything - he had finished his 30-hour online course, I had gotten his appointment scheduled 2 months earlier, I had gathered all necessary documents . . . Unfortunately his birth certificate was "certified" by the city Jonas was born in - and not the county or the state, which apparently the DMV requires. Looking at his certificate I had no idea it was not some official state certificate. The county doesn't even provide them, we found out. So we had to call Vital Records and request a state one - sure, just $70 and 35-40 business days until we'll likely get it. WAAAAAA. We had found out the city-certificates are accepted in rare occasions when a county or state certificate cannot be obtained. So they do allow them in some exceptions. But we don't qualify. But how stupid?! They can accept them . . . GRRRRR. I had Ben call back to see about the Exceptions Processing but that was basically a no since we can get one from the state. I contacted the New York state office and was told they are not able to expedite any certificates. They receive thousands a day and process them in the order they come. WAAAAAAA. I also emailed the state DMV. He wouldn't give in and let me have an exception. It's for a PERMIT for crying out loud. 

That was supposed to be the highlight of Jonas' birthday. Of his year, frankly, given this cruddy year with such a lack of positive and motivating things happening. Jonas has seriously looked so forward to this day all year long. So it's devastating and heartbreaking and crushing. (Sometimes I just wish I weren't a mom and didn't care about my kids . . . It hurts a lot.) Is it a huge deal? Not really. It is going to ruin his life? No. But still it just was awful and such a perfect - albeit shi**y - way to end 2020. WAAAAAAA.

So I was pretty much worthless for the rest of the day. I even forgot my doctor's appointment . . . Sigh. I am doing better today, thank you. :)

Jonas' friend met him for lunch at a local restaurant, Horsefly. Jonas loved it.

We ate his birthday dinner choice: orange chicken. We have a really great recipe and Jonas loves it (he even had leftovers for breakfast). Ben does all the hard part of this meal - getting the meat ready and frying it. So we had dinner and then watched his movie choice: Ford vs. Ferrari. I hadn't seen it and it was good. But such a bummer of an ending. I knew how it ended, but still. We took a half-time break for cake and ice cream. Then we went to bed quite late - but I don't care. The kids are all doing online schooling this week and I've lost motivation to really care about it. Ha.

Anyways, Jonas is pretty great and handled the situation much better than expected and much better than his mother. Perhaps this kid is maturing into something fine and dandy.
Pics:

Eljin, our elf, hid on Jonas' picture. In Jonas' classic pose - I love it!

Jonas knew practically every gift he got - which usually doesn't happen with my kids. But Jonas is definitely more particular with what he wants. So he had bought himself a snowboard a few weeks earlier and then we got him boots and bindings. Those were the boots I picked up while in Utah. They were used - but practically new! He also got a wallet that he picked out. Then his "surprise" gift of a huge box of snack foods - because he's always eating. :)

What a handsome 15 year-old.

His sweet new board.

Board, bindings, boots - and even matching snow pants that Grandma Dixie found and bought. He loves it all.


The happy birthday song and cake! Yay.

We got 3-4 inches of snow last night and so today, the day after his birthday, the three youngest kid went to our itty-bitty snow hill in town so Jonas could have fun on his board. We also took Jonas' best friend, Aiden, and Aiden's younger brother. Interestingly, Mia (Jonas' friend who is a girl) was there with her sister. They live right by the hill and Jonas had invited them. :) They had fun, but there wasn't enough snow and they eventually wore it down quite well and weren't able to go too fast after most of the snow was gone. But it was good for them to get out and for Jonas to get to try his new board and boots.

Blogger doesn't upload my videos anymore . . . :( So here is the YouTube link:  https://youtu.be/3b74xa9WPog

Yep, it was 28 degrees out - but with playing and the sunshine, apparently it was warm enough to be in a t-shirt. :)

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

After the day you had, watching F v. F would have had me BAWLING. Hahaha. Happy birthday Jonas!