Happy 11th birthday Lucy! Even though you are getting older . . . birthdays are not becoming old to you. :) You love them and eagerly anticipate your special day. In some ways (even though it can get a bit annoying), I hope you never grow out of being so excited for your birthday - it is pretty sweet.
So another year has come and gone. It was another good one for you - despite the havoc Covid caused. But, for you, it seemed to be a pretty minor player in your year. School, for the most part, was pretty normal for you. You went every day (except for maybe a total of 3-4 weeks, spread out over the year, that you and your class had to quarantine) and was only mandated to wear a mask for maybe a month or two. Which you still never wore your mask once you passed the "screening" station and your teacher never asked you to put it on. You were lucky to have Mr. Stammler. He was a great teacher and is now listed up there (with all your other teachers, ha) as a "favorite." You continued to excel in almost every way at school - academically and socially. School is definitely something you adore and I hope that continues as you enter middle school . . .
Yep, you skipped 5th grade. Which is so weird, really. Let's hope that I was truly inspired by this and that this will be a blessing in your life! There were several factors leading up to this decision, including having experienced less-than-ideal (waaaaay less) 5th-grade years for every one of your siblings. Added to that, I was not excited about the 5th-grade teachers that would be there - however, both of them left and two other teachers are now there. Funny thing, though, I am almost less-thrilled about the two new ones and so I think it just makes it even better that you won't be there. Most of your friends from church (whom you hang-out with more than your school friends) are entering 6th grade this year. Some will be going to your middle school, others will be attending the other one in town. But now you will join at least some of them this year (including a couple of your besties) and all of them by high school. It felt like these factors combined made sense to have you skip 5th-grade. You are smart enough - yet not in an overly brilliant way. Smart enough to skip a grade, but it will be different for you this year not being at the "top of the class." Maybe it will be good for you and force you to work harder! I know you can do it and can do it well. I am excited that you and Emmy will be together at the middle school - how fun. Or not, probably depending on the day. :)
You had a great competition season at your new gym! You competed in the silver level and usually ended up with a 1st or 2nd place in the events as well as all-around. It was super-fun to watch you compete - your personality definitely shined in your floor routine. You were so good and so cute and just loved it. You've made good friends at gym and this year you will be moving up to the Gold level. It will definitely be more of a challenge and you might not place as high, but I hope you'll continue to work hard and success will come!
You continue to play the part well of being the baby of the family (I am sure I did, too, Lucy). You tend to whine and cry and tattle a bit lot more than your siblings. Hopefully, you'll outgrow this soon! Like today seeing as you're now 11! (Pretty, pretty please!) I sometimes (ahem, a lot of times) struggle with this with you - especially as it was never something you did much of when you were younger. Maybe now your siblings are just meaner, right? :)
You have a lot of friends and continue to make friends easily. You seem to miss us parents less when we have to go away and, thus, you get extra time to play with friends at their homes, etc. I just realized now that you definitely play less with your "toys." You're growing up for sure. You love to brush your hair and make it all smooth and pretty. You sometimes wear mascara. You are picky when it comes to what you wear each day - sometimes changing your outfit multiple times before heading out for school. You have a wide-range of music styles - but right now Boston is probably your favorite band. You are almost done with the last Harry Potter book. Now what will you read?! You have the most sincerity and empathy of all of our kids. You love playing the piano, but cry when I ask you to practice. You and Emmy are the great Frenemies of all time.
I am excited for this next year of your life and know it will be full of fun and adventure with you! I love you lots Lucy!
love, mom

No comments:
Post a Comment