2014

2014

Friday, August 27, 2021

Dear Emmy on your 14th Birthday,

Happy birthday Emmy! You're now 14 - wowzers. You're definitely growing into a beautiful young woman. In fact, you are growing so much that you are now officially taller than me. What?! I mean, it's not a huge feat (certainly not a tall feat), but it's still pretty cool. At least I still have quite a few pounds on you, haha.

Your past year was full of craziness . . . dealing with a pandemic, having to attend school at our town's Pavillon, competing in gymnastics, hanging out with friends, etc., etc. School was a bit crazy - you started the year going in-person every other week. Then you got to go back full-time, only to have your school discover asbestos. But, in the end, you really enjoyed being at the Pavillon and had a good year at school with friends. I am not sure you learned much academically, but you had growth socially and emotionally and physically - so that's not too shabby for 2020-2021!

You tried volleyball out at school and really loved it. You were on the B-team, which was a bit of a bummer, but you excelled in that group and so it was a great place for you to learn the sport and to have fun.

Gymnastics competitions were more than you had ever experienced before - you had maybe half a dozen meets. I am not sure that having more meets helped you be less nervous . . . but that's just part of who you are. It's hard on me (the mom) having to deal with those wild emotions and nerves, but I do love (and hate) watching you compete. You are a beautiful gymnast! Your floor routine is amazing and you always scored so well and so high. Although you hate the beam, you always had the hardest element in your routine (a back handspring) of any other gymnast at the meets (well, in your level). You did well on all events and oftentimes ended up 1st (!!!), 2nd or 3rd all-around. You had the choice to go up a level, but we talked and thought it would be best to stay where you were. Which was great and gave you confidence, I think. Not that it helped much with your nerves, though. :) This coming year you'll be competing in the higher level (Platinum) and it might be quite a challenge, but it will be good for you, too!

You made some really great friends - especially Reese. You two are very, very similar and probably, at times, too similar. :) You had a lot of classes together, do gym together, did volleyball, etc. But she's great and I am so glad you have her as a friend. Over this summer you've gotten close to Holly and Millie again (old friends that go clear back to your preschool days) and you've had a lot of fun hanging out with them - including going on a girls-only backpacking trip.

You remain a competitive girl - that really showed up when you tried track (yep, you tried that too). I love that you have that fighting, winning spirit. But it's also hard because you actually do want to win (or be in the top few) and when you don't it's hard on you. You went to your first church dances - and loved them. But, we're always dealing with some kind of emotions with you, you would be quite bummed because "everyone" would think you're just a little girl. (Which you are, by the way.) But you are definitely growing up and those boys will notice you someday - I'm a little glad that most of them aren't quite yet, though. :)

You're a good girl and, though you've got loads to work on, you try to be and do good for the most part. I am excited to see you continue to grow and learn and love life. I am glad I get to be a part of it with you! I love you.

love, mom 

No comments: