2014

2014

Sunday, August 17, 2025

Emmy Goes to FSY

Well Emmy ended up at FSY, which was quite the shock. I had encouraged her earlier on in the summer to attend, but she was definitely not interested. I asked maybe a couple more times, but certainly wasn't going to push it on her. But then . . . Aidan broke up with her and she was quite saddened by it (that's an UNDERSTATEMENT). She was inconsolable and basically cried almost-non-stop for 48+ hours. She knew she was over-reacting, but also couldn't stop. (Spoiler alert: Aidan texts Emmy at FSY and they start "talking" again. They are basically but perhaps "unofficially" back together!)

Emmy is really close to one of her YW leaders and Emmy had texted her about the breakup. Then this leader, Mandi, encouraged Emmy to attend FSY - which was starting in less than 48 hours. In a moment of weakness, Emmy agreed to go. I got online and miraculously was able to get her registered (mind you, this was Saturday night before the Monday when FSY was to begin. Also mind you, it said online no registrations allowed after the Thursday before . . . but we got her in, yay!).

Emmy regretted her agreeing to go almost immediately and I really wasn't sure she'd do it - let alone stay for the week. . . Mandi drove Emmy up on Monday (I had to work) and was thinking the same thing - is she really going to do it!?!? Emmy was thinking the same thing, too, haha. 

But in the end, Emmy stayed the entire week and even enjoyed it. It was good for her soul and she recognized that. She ended up with her own room, which I think was another tender mercy for Emmy as it was good to have some alone-time and she's just older than a lot of the other girls in her group and so I think she appreciated her own room. Millie, another girl from our ward, was up there that week too (it was technically our stake's week, but most -99% - of our stake went the week before) and they spent a lot of time together and it was great. They weren't in the same group, but were together a lot. In fact, Emmy, Millie, and 2 other girls (from our stake) performed at one of the night's "Talent Show." Apparently everyone loved it and they "won" and got to do a second performance on the last night as part of the "Taking it Home Showcase." Ha, and so fun for them!

Click on this link to watch the dance - this was the first performance. 

They spent most of their afternoon "free time" choreographing and practicing it. :)

I had originally told Emmy I would pick her up on Wednesday night so she could welcome Miles home, and then drop her back off at FSY on Thursday morning. But by Tuesday Emmy felt she just needed to stay and would see Miles on Saturday. Alrighty!

Ben and I had a triathlon that Saturday and so we were heading up with Lucy and Miles to Idaho on Friday. So we had made arrangements for Emmy to fly from Grand Junction (FSY was at CMU in Junction) to Idaho Falls, where we would pick her up. Mandi, who's like 9-months pregnant, picked her up early that Saturday morning, took Emmy to breakfast, and then dropped Emmy off at the airport. It was Emmy's first time flying solo and she managed it great. :) More on that in my Idaho post . . .

Emmy's pictures from FSY:






Millie is the girl right next to Emmy. The other two are Aubrey and Maddie (sisters from Cedaredge). This was the dancing troupe. :)

Emmy LOVED her FSY counselor (another spoiler alert: We run in to her at the Rexburg Temple! Apparently her dad is President of BYU-I, but isn't something she told Emmy . . .)

I am really grateful for FSY and think it's such a great thing our church puts on for our youth! They need it so much in this crazy world.

No comments: